Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stone Tools from the British Museum

 Stone Tools on display at the British Museum
Neolithic Axes from around 4000 BC
The top ax is called a Jadeite axe-head.  There is more info on this piece at the British Museum's website.

I took these images at the British Museum for Bruce.  Bruce loves looking at stone tools and will often scour the ground around our home for anything of interest. I am always amazed at his ability to locate arrowheads (mostly pieces) and other treasures from the ground.  Or when he points to the pond and says do you see the fish? He describes the location for me to look at, and as hard as I might I just don't see them. He says look the dark shadows you can see them moving.   I can locate Moby, but that is easy, just look for the white shadow moving around on the surface.

The next two images are of the same grouping but from different views.  These are assorted ax stone tools.
  I wish I had taken a picture of the description tag.    
As usual we always tend to reference things in terms of pottery and these are inspiring in terms of form and surface.


This stone tool below is a Levallois Ax dating from around 200,000 years ago.



Wow.  When Bruce and I saw this we were in awe.  To be looking at something that is this old and beautiful makes our legs quiver.  In the book "The Atlas of Archaeology" by Mick Aston & Tim Taylor,  I read that this shape and type of tool dates back to around 1.5 million years ago when a new evolved species of human called Homo erectus spread from Africa to the rest of the world.  The earliest stone tool pictured in this book is from 1.9 million years ago and is called Oldwan Chopper.  These tools are simple in shape and are hard to distinguish them from naturally broken and cracked pebbles in the field.

Here is the Paleolithic Hand Ax that we saw at the British Museum.  This is about the only image that I did take and image of the tag.



No comments: