Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New Wood Podium

Samantha and Maxwell in the pottery studio
Back in January, Bruce and Ed built me two platform boxes to stand on while I throw my tall slender vases. Last year I threw a series of these vases and whacked out my shoulder/neck, putting me out of commission throwing these forms for just about the rest of the year.  The platforms have worked out really well for me, and I have even been able throw a bit taller than before.

I call these forms my Jesse Vases after a sweet wonderful elderly man that collected many many many pots for years (and still does).  He discovered that these particular shaped forms were perfect for putting in between all of his other pots.

I have thrown around 20 Jesse Vases to choose from for an upcoming invitational exhibition.  The show is called "By Example-NC Potters and their Mentors", and will be on display at the Green Hill Center for NC Art in Greensboro, NC.  The opening reception is on June 29 and will be up for the summer.  Curated by Ronan Peterson, he has chosen 20 emerging young NC artists working in clay to exhibit around 20 pieces each, and then in turn they choose a mentor of theirs.  I chose one of my teachers from Alfred University, Val Cushing. I am absolutely thrilled that he said yes.

This is the write-up that can be found on the Green Hill Art Center's website.

"By Example presents the work of twenty younger NC ceramic artists who use color, texture and imagery in their work  and examines the sources of the newer guard of NC clay makers. Guest curator Ronan Kyle Peterson has selected 20 artists who in turn have invited 20 mentors who have impacted their work and careers in a significant way. This exhibit will include both functional and sculptural ceramic works which will introduce viewers to the clay medium through new approaches to surface design, and innovative use of ancient techniques. Themes such as artistic borrowings from other media in contemporary craft and the importance of mentorship will also be explored. "



Samantha working the top of a tall vase

2 comments:

Linda Starr said...

amazing work, thanks for sharing the stand up platform.

Michèle Hastings said...

looks like someone else likes that platform too!