Thursday, May 2, 2013

I Know it is Here Somewhere

Bruce Gholson searching for a specific tool
Bruce has a wonderful assortment of tools that he has made and acquired through his forty years of pottery making. He has made ribs for just the right curve and cut-off sticks for the bottom of pots.  The black metal ribs always seem to hide themselves so he made these cool wood block holders for them.  We can become attached to a particular tool and I know that when I am looking for my rib that I really like to use and it has moved itself, throwing just isn't right until that tool is found. Bruce makes me tools too. I am very happy when he hands me over a new something. I have lost my tiny rib that I love, and I miss it dearly. I use it to make the lid's flange for my covered jars and it has been quite awhile since I have had it (hint hint).  

We are trying to get through a couple of different cycles this month. We will be loading and firing our gas kiln with our Moka glaze pottery and I will be working on a series of porcelain glaze paintings and Bruce will be decorating with his fossil fish image on red clay.

Bruce Gholson working on his pitcher's handle
Bruce Gholson throwing cups
Bruce attaching the handle to his pitcher

2 comments:

JLK Jewelry said...

I wish my bench were that organized! I know what you mean, I have 3 burnishers but only one of them is the one I like even though 2 of them look very similar.

I hope you find your little rib or a new one finds you.

goej said...

My studio looks just the same. I'm a mess....