Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yunomi Deadline Causes Change in Plans

Bruce is working on one of his Yunomi's for the upcoming Yunomi invitational at AKAR
 
We thought we would have time to make enough pots for our reduction fired gas kiln, but we looked at the calendar and realized "no way".  Quickly, we are changing gears to throw teabowls and focus on getting these done for the upcoming Yunomi invitational at AKAR. We wrapped our pieces really well that we we were working on for the gas kiln and pulled out some different clays.  Bruce is focusing on some agate Yunomis, and I am focusing on porcelain yunomis and plan to decorate them with red clay slip.  These will be fired with some combination of our flowing crystalline glazes.  There is nothing like pushing a deadline to the end.  Bruce and I find ourselves in this position more often that not.

** Yunomi - a form of tea bowl, being taller than wide with a trimmed or turned foot, without a handle; made for daily (or informal) tea drinking. 

Bruce is trimming away the surface slurry to reveal the different clays 

These were turned using three different colors of clay: porcelain, red and a deep brown

I am throwing porcelain in the image below

I like throwing with white clay.

I am trying to get enough teabowls to work with.  

3 comments:

JLK Jewelry said...

I think I heard sort of the same from Pam! Deadlines, they can be a good thing.

klineola said...

I like the agate! I'm bisqing today and firing mine in a neighbors kiln on Saturday! Nice action shots!

Bulldog Pottery said...

Yes deadlines help us focus. I wish they just did not rush up on us as fast as they do sometimes:)
Good Luck Michael I am sure you cups will come out gorgeous!